Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Yawn, another meter question

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 11:47:33 +0100
Jeff Layman wrote:

That is an interesting Wiki article, though. I thought the examples
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_demand_management#Examples)
were particularly informative, and a bit worrying: "The utility
companies in the state of Queensland, Australia have devices fitted
onto certain household appliances such as air conditioners or into
household meters to control water heater, pool pumps etc. These
devices would allow energy companies to remotely cycle the use of
these items during peak hours."

This is quite common in the States for A/C. For a reduced cost rate,
there is the option for the utility company to shut off the A/C power
for a period of time. In all the time we had this, we never noticed it
being switched off, so it was either for a short enough duration to be
un-noticeable, or was never invoked.

--
Davey.