Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Something inside my loo pipe

On Sunday, 19 August 2018 07:45:44 UTC+1, Richard wrote:
On 18/08/18 17:00, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 18 August 2018 08:43:22 UTC+1, Richard wrote:
On 17/08/18 17:31, harry wrote:
On Friday, 17 August 2018 14:56:16 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On at least 3 occasions now I have heard a scraping
scrabbling noise coming from the corner of the house
where the internal foul stack is.

It sounds like a bird or animal with claws, inside and trying
to get up the pipe, presumably because it can see daylight.

I'm pretty sure it is not inside the house.

I am on a spur of 9 houses connected to a 100mm run of
drainage and apart from the house at the head of the spur,
they are original properties with bird guards in situ.

If the neighbour hadn't covered her half of the shared
manhole connection I would lift and see if the poor
creature (probably a starling, they get everywhere)
could escape.

Rats.
The reason for a lid on the toilet is so they can't see the light and be tempted to enter the house.

Methinks that's a bit of old wife's tale there. Probably your mummy
telling you that so you'd put the lid down.

Nope. How do suppose rats get into peoples houses?
Especially bungalows/downstairs toilets.
You can buy a "one way valve" to fit to the sewer to keep them out.
https://ratflap.com/

When my wife heard about this, she started putting a brick on the toilet lid as extra precaution.

So, the light manages to travel in the water through the various traps?
WTF, do you have a latrine in your bunker?
Must be fun explaining the brick on the lid to visitors. Mind you, it'd
come in handy for bashing the *******s on the head when the seat is
lifted for use and the hordes of rats emerge. Perhaps a Gatling gun
might be more appropriate.

You really don't have the faintest idea about sewer/drain systems do you?