Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard[_10_] Richard[_10_] is offline

Default Yawn, another meter question

On 19/08/18 07:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 07:36:31 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

They are being advertised on TV as saving electricity. Now we all know
that adverts are all accurate and never lie. But how exactly do they
save electric? Or do they mean that customers can use the information
given to save it?

That's what I understand. TPTB expect you to look at the meter every
few minutes and run around switching off lights, phone chargers etc to
save a few watts. My impression is that most people pretty soon get
bored by them and stop looking, presumably reverting to their former
wasteful or otherwise behaviour.

Yeah. Save £40 something per annum, allegedly - having a larf there. Try
getting a wife and daughter (let alone yourself) to change habits for an
extended time. We all are used to consuming electricity, gas and water
in the manner to which we have become accustomed. Only when these
resources are unavailable will we change.

Maybe the reason for establishment encouragement of smart meter adoption
is so they can cut off supply to force prevention of resource waste.
Family X is consuming 1% more electricity/gas/water than the average for
their type - click, fixed.