Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Very fine hose clips?

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 11:00:23 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 18/08/2018, Andrew Mawson supposed :
Here is a handy tool for making hose clips to any size. Although commercially
available, it's actually quite easy to make the tool:

http://www.clamptool.com/index.html

That is the tool/method I had in mind. I made one of a similar design
to that. It is now the only type of clip I use, instead of both the
Jubilee and the over-lapping screw tightened camp. Both of the latter
tend to bunch up the pipe at one point, so it leaks and often the
Jubilee threads strip.

I believe that was a problem with the inlet manifold rubbers on this
bike and older / less supple rubbers. The (tin) clamps did have an
overlap but didn't seem to clamp and seal the older rubbers (as you
said).

A bit of fabric tape sometimes to reinforce the pipe,

I've seen that done with Jubilee clips etc.

plus a bit of
wire

Or several gauges of wire, depending on the rage of jobs you are
covering?

and the tool are all that is needed, to get a joint as tight as
you like.

But no so handy in the field if you have to release and re connect a
joint (without the tool and some wire ... ok in a car, not so
convenient on a motorbike).

And then you have access. You can fit a Jubilee clip to a hose and
push the hose in place and then only need to be able to get a driver
of some sort in to be able to do it up (if you do it up slightly
before fitting and use a hex driver you don't even need to hold it
still).

Horses for courses?