Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Very fine hose clips?

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 10:50:13 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

T i m used his keyboard to write :
or an effective alternative?

I now use a gadget which uses any sort of wire which is suitable for
the job. You put a double loop of your chosen wire round the object,
the gadget then tightens the loop and once sufficiently tight, you
simply fold the wire over and cut it off. It is a single use system, so
needs to be repeated with fresh wire each time it is disturbed. You
don't need to keep various sizes of clip, just various OD / types of
wire.

Did you buy it or make it OOI Harry?

Much more secure than a Jubilee or other type of clip and can be made
to be much tighter than a normal clip.

Yeah, they seem quite versatile.

There are various designs of the
DIY gadget on Youtube,

This looks one of the most simple and may be better suited to the
smaller hoses I am talking about here.

plus a ready made one.

Yeah, I think that's the one Andrew linked to elsewhere, the
'Clamptite'?

For the size of these hoses (10mm OD) and on fairly soft rubber, I
think I could make a sufficiently good job using some pliers.

Basically, you just need to apply enough grip by any clamp to press
the inner face of the hose over the grooves / humps on the male pipe
connector and that should be enough to stop the hose from being easily
pulled off. The seal is made by the tight fit of the hose over the
tap / tank outlet.

To do that I think the key would be the right gauge of (ideally ss)
wire. It needs to be thin / flexible enough to follow the
circumference of the hose easily but yet stiff enough to maintain the
'hooks' under tension.

I used to use the '2 - 3 turns of wire round a hose and then twist the
two ends together' technique on smaller / typically silicone fuel /
water-cooling hoses on RC boats and generally used some bright tinned
copper wire I used for making links on PCB's and the like?

It wasn't very 'strong' in a single part but wound just enough turns
round the hose pre twisting gave quite a bit of mechanical advantage
and then practice determined how tight you could / needed to twist the
ends together before it snapped. In practice it was more like bundling
something up with string with a Spanish windlass providing the 'knot'.
;-)

I think for hoses under any sort of positive pressure you need at
least one *complete* turn round the hose (so two turns in total) to
avoid the 'hump' you typically get as the loop sits up on the other
part of the wire.

Whilst this sort of solution would be good for the hose ends that
generally stay put but on this bike you have to take the tank off to
do many things (like access the spark plugs or even top up the
coolant) and to do that you have to disconnect the hoses from one end
or the other (tank or remote tap). The tank end has reasonable access
(once the tank is off) but the tap end is pretty cramped, with 4 hoses
coming in from 3 directions (Main, Reserve, Out and vacuum).

Hence the need for something easy to (repeatedly) apply and release
and the right 'scale' for these fairly small hoses.

I can remember seeing the micro Jubilee clips on a fuel hose years ago
(and I was impressed with them at the time) but it may have been on my
Morris Minor van! ;-)

Cheers, T i m