Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Unearthed IEC lead.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I think the point is though, without some indication to the user, we all
keep a box of these leads from old devices and when we need one, maybe a
little longer we just fish one out. If they are not going to be all
containing an earth wire and do not show a plastic earth pin like a wall
wart, how would the user know?

By having no hole for an earth pin on the appliance end, so it couldn’t
be plugged in at appliance end if the appliance has an earth pin there.

news
On 17/08/18 11:19, Clive Arthur wrote:
I've just cut a bog standard IEC power lead with moulded plugs so I can
shorten it. There is no earth wire, and no indication that there is no
earth wire.

I'm aware that most things don't use the earth, but can this be legal?

Cheers

it is unless used in an appliance with a metal chassis that is connected
to IEE socket earth...