Tony Hwang

Default Seeking garage door advice

Dave wrote:

I have a 2-car garage with a wood door on the front. The opener was
replaced within the past year, but the door is old.

Within the past week or so, since the weather turned colder (20F as a
high), the door begins to close and then reverses itself. This
happens at various points, so I do not believe it to be something
directly in the track itself. There does not appear to be anything
inside the garage that is tripping the sensor (i.e., at first we
thought the car bumper was in the way or something like that), however
when viewing the door close from the outside, it looks like maybe the
wood is bulging at a seam and is squeezed just enough to trip the
opener.

If you gently push on the door as it is going down, it closes. By
"gently," I mean you can basically just put your hand on it without
much effort to push it down.

Does the cold air expand the wood and/or is this typical for a wood
door?

On a side note, we have been thinking of replacing the door anyway.
The garage is not heated, but the current door has a bulge where the
opener attaches and does not seem to help much other than keeping the
direct wind and elements from the cars. I have not looked into
pricing yet, but what would you recommend...when we decide to replace
the door, would you stick with wood?

Thank you,
Dave

Hi,
Disengage opener and manually open/close door to see if it feely moves
up/down. The spring tension is almost in neutral so you should be
able to open of close the door with touch of your hand. No
pushing/pulling needed really. I replaced wooden sectional door with
Steelcraft foam core insulated door. It has a baked on painting matched
to house color, has better rubber seals between sections and at the
bottom. Cost of the door was ~900.00.
Tony