Posted to rec.woodworking
shiggins shiggins is offline

Default turning legs with a router

On 8/16/2018 2:20 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Has anyone ever turned large (dining table...)legs using a router and a
jig? How did they turn out? I'm going to biuld a table for my son and his
wife and don't have a lathe.

For a while, I used a Sears Router Crafter to make full length
gunstocks. The whole machine was a little loosey-goosey so I made my own
borrowing some from the Crafter.
Instead of using a cable to advance the router along a template I used a
piece of 10-32 all thread. I attached an old damper control motor to the
all thread so I didn't have to crank the router along the work. End
switches allowed me to do other things while the machine did its work.
It had manual depth adjustment. I was always going to install auto depth
but I sold it before I got around to it.
Sorry. No pics as I don't have either machine anymore.

Steve