Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unearthed IEC lead.

On Friday, 17 August 2018 12:55:54 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 17/08/2018 12:28, Roger Hayter wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:

On 17/08/2018 11:34, wrote:
On Friday, 17 August 2018 11:19:33 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:

I've just cut a bog standard IEC power lead with moulded plugs so I can
shorten it. There is no earth wire, and no indication that there is no
earth wire.

I'm aware that most things don't use the earth, but can this be legal?

Cheers

depends which tye of IEC lead it is. If it's a 3 pin connector, no. If 2
pin, yes.

NT

Yes, normal 3 pin with moulded 13A plug and moulded three pin C13 IEC
socket. All the usual BS approval markings, just no earth wire.
Looking at the cable, it does say, among other things, 'KEMA-KEUR
300/300V 2X0.75mm2'

Of course, I don't know where it came from, it's one of many.

Cheers

Thanks for drawing our attention to the existence of such things. Apart
from the potential electrocution danger, using one when expecting an
earth could lead to all sorts of problems with signal circuits,
including audio, and perhaps unexpected ESD problems. I am tempted to
go and check all mine immediately.

I have half a dozen more hanging up,

I've a couple of hundred at least. yes really they are in a box in the lab, they have all passed a PAT test and visual inspection.
Most are just 6 amp leads rather than kettle leads which is the name most people use when requesting one.