Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default septic tanks - new EU regulations ?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 07:49:38 +0100, Handsome Jack wrote:

How do I make the outflow cleaner without replacing or modifying the
tank or drainage field?

The rules that have been in place since 2015 and have to be complied
with by 2020 are only applicable to systems that discharge into
surface water.

I doubt that there are many, if any, septic tank systems that
discharge into surface water. It's been standard practice for a very
long time for them to discharge underground into a drainage field or
soakaway.

When we sold Dads old farm amongst the documentation there was an official
looking document regarding the septic tank from the House and a plan of the
tank and drainage field . I cant recall now which department or body had
rubber stamped it but some official requirement must have been complied
with.
The tank went in when the house got its first flush toilet in 1952, before
it was just a bucket and chuck it in a pit dug and filled as required .
No idea if a plain cesspool would have been granted if requested but
Grandfather whose farm it was at the time was not noted for spending
unnecessarily so I suspect not.
The documentation was enough to satisfy the purchaser and her solicitors
that it was still legal , this was in 2010. Nearest open water course
would be a field edge ditch about 200 yards from the drainage field so
plenty of soil to filter through. The ditch leads into a stream about 500
yard away and dries out periodically.
I never saw any evidence of contamination in it unlike the outfall of my
brothers Klargester or similar device which discharges into a similar
ditch. A lot of black silt like mud in the ditch around the outfall, his J
Russel pup allegedly white in colour seemed to like paddling in it though.

GH