Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi boiler condensate drain - just dripping down an outside wall.

On Thursday, 16 August 2018 12:33:52 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 10:39:14 +0000, David wrote:

The ancient Radiant combi is mounted on an outside wall, and there is a
copper pipe (I assume the condensate drain) sticking out of the wall
with a downwards bend which is more or les constantly dripping.

I assume that this should go into some form of drainage. This may
explain why the concrete lintel below is rotting away.

Anyway, there is a rainwater down pipe close to it. Is it acceptable to
put some kind of joint in the downpipe so that the copper pipe drips
into it? The drain below is where some of the condensate will go
eventually.

Guttering is "interesting" and I'm not looking forward to fixing it
although it looks as though most of the grass growing out of the shonky
joints has been killed by the recent hot dry weather.

Model is Radiant RSF 20 E.

Looks as though it was installed in 2000.

After a bit of confusion which I think was due to the pilot light going
out I managed to get the heating running. It seems to work. :-).
I am online manual surfing and have found a couple of sites, but so far I
haven't been able to establish if it is a condensing boiler.

The blinken lights on the front seem to indicate that pressure is fine so
it may not be a leak from the expansion whatsit (but where is the outlet
for the expansion valve if this isn't it?).

Anyway, off out for a while.

I would prefer the dripping to be condensate as it seems easier to sort.

2000 = probably not combi. Whether you have a DHW cylinder should answer that though. Or just count the pipes going into/out of the boiler.

NT