Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default septic tanks - new EU regulations ?

On 16/08/18 12:41, NY wrote:
news
The regulation says that by 2020 or if you sell the house you must
modify your private sewage plant to meet a given standard.

How severe is the standard? How many two-chamber septic tanks installed
(say) in the 1960s and 70s would pass?

None.

If not, what sort of modification
would typically be necessary to make it comply (in terms of cost and
disruption during construction)?

Intsall a klargester or a reverse field drain

Is it similar to the new rules about MOTs and diesel emissions, where
there was a lot of scaremongering in advance, but in practice the vast
majority of cars still pass and it is only ones with a damaged or
removed diesel particulate filter that would fail.

No. I think the situaion is similar to when I built my new house,.
Because it was by then a 'new build' they refused permsission to use the
existing two chamber septic tank.

I had to install a klargester.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.