Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Pendulum clock runs *fast* in hot weather

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Terry Casey writes
In article
k,
says...

It now runs for a
few minutes, with a tick that starts as a fairly even tick-tock, but then it
starts "limping" - the interval between the tick and the tock becomes longer
than that between the tock and the tick, until eventually the ticking gets
fainter and fainter, and them dies altogether.

That means that the pendulum is no long swinging equally about
the vertical.

If the clock is wall hung, use a spirit level to get it
perfectly vertical and make a small mark on the wall so that
you can see immediately if it has moved.

Now start the clock and see if that cures the problem. If not,
you need to adjust the pendulum's vertical position

Move the pendulum to one end of its natural travel range and
keeping going slightly further, just overcoming the
resistance.

Start the clock and listen. Is it better or worse? If better
keep nudging the pendulum a bit further in the same direction
and try again. If it is now worse, move the pendulum in the
opposite direction, again moving it past its natural end stop.

Repeat the adjustments until the clock sounds right. All
things being equal, it should now carry on ticking without
stopping.

Fascinating. I didn't know that. I'll try it on our clock.

Did you get round to trying it - and was it successful?

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com