Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do you rebuild the bearings?

On 15 Aug 2018 18:12:19 GMT, dpb wrote:

Well, that for me, too, probably if it's more than barest basics; and
I'm not faulting him for not knowing much about the system--what gets me
is that even when he's spending time looking at things he doesn't seem
to actually _SEE_ what is there -- not observing the pressure tap going
to the pressure switch...

To be truthful, until someone mentioned it - I simply thought the "bare
thick wire" was a ground. It didn't even occur to me that the pressure tap
was a "tube" as I never expected to see a tube sticking out of a motor
(where I was unaware that the front was the "pump").

A lot has to do with expectations.

For example, I can tell diffusion from poly in a chip layout, and I know
that in layout-versus-schematic physical verification tools, they often
can't determine a lightly doped drain - but I don't know a jet pump from a
non jet pump.

To be fair to me, I never once claimed I was a genius.
I never claimed to know more than I do.

I am not embarrassed to say I never heard of, oh, a Schrader valve being on
a pressure bladder - simply because I never once _thought_ about the
pressure bladder. I never had a reason to think of it. I've never owned a
house with one before, for example (my previous city water didn't have
them).

If I claimed to be a genius - then you could fault me for being ignorant of
how things work and of not noticing things that you knew a priori.

Having said that, I do fully *agree* with you that I thought the pressure
switch was a mere relay, and therefore it was a mystery to me how the
pressure was sensed!

Now I realize that it was very stupid of me to not notice what you've
helped me notice - and I'm not at all embarrassed to admit that - just like
I blew a hole in my arm just two weeks ago by forgetting to set the carbon
dioxide pressure appropriately when essentially running experiments blowing
up bottles! http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=962599720180729_174631.jpg

having looked up and posted a pdf on the
pressure tank itself and still then not checking what's under those
little caps, just the most basic of just observing what is in front of
his eyes...

I think that's unfair as I did check what's under the caps.

In fact, I opened the Schrader valve cap first - but I also wanted to see
what was under the other cap (which someone kindly told me was a threaded
nut for a carrying hook - which makes sense).

I pointed that out not with the intent to insult or denigrate but to try
to prod to be more attentive.

I fully agree with your observation that I didn't notice how the system
works, and where it didn't occur to me to check the bladder pressure, nor
did I notice the pressure transfer tube from the pump to the pressure
switch.

It's no different than the transmission clutch I did about two weeks ago
where I didn't know where the pilot bearing was from where the throwout
bearing was, and where I clearly performed the job nonetheless, with the
help from people on this newsgroup.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/qEhph1MmSKs/4wE_j4P7BgAJ

If I can get to the rear oil seal, as shown in this pictures, I "can" learn
since this was the first clutch job in my entire life.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3049446dowel_pinned.jpg

I wanted to do a clutch, at least once, before I die - where you guys were
instrumental in giving me the courage to perform the job successfully!
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/YvubIh8oBwY/-utBXsHDAAAJ

Although, what I learned was that the next time, if that ever happens (it
probably won't), I would replace more parts than just what I originally
planned (particularly the rear engine oil seal & rear tranny oil seal):
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5199382clutch03.jpg