Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

In article , Theo theom+news@chi
ark.greenend.org.uk scribeth thus
Robin wrote:
On 15/08/2018 14:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Or get a VOIP capable DECT base station and DECT handsets. Such as
the Gigaset N300 IP. That can handle 6 VOIP accounts and a POTS line.
That's what we have and works well. Wired ethernet to the base
station, currently three DECT handsets wirelessly conected to that.
You can select which handset(s) ring for a given incoming VOIP call
and have different ringtones. Normal DECT paging and intercom
facilties of course.

Thanks, those do indeed look like a good fit.

I was assuming you have an existing DECT setup - if you just want to go VOIP
you can either do the above, or keep your existing DECT system (since third-
party
handsets on a base from a different manufacturer will work but only provide the
bare
minimum of features) and put an ATA in front so it plugs into ethernet (or
wifi) not the PSTN.

If you want to use smartphones then you get the VOIP features but not the
DECT features, and replicating the DECT features with VOIP requires someone
to implement PABX functions (which some ISPs do).

Theo

Now using Zoiper and it works fine over wi-fi on an Motorola android
phone
--
Tony Sayer