Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do yourebuild the bearings?

On 8/15/2018 2:09 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On 15 Aug 2018 11:33:58 GMT, trader_4 wrote:

What were you expecting?

I was expecting 38 psi in the bladder since that's the precharge pressure.
I only got 18 psi.

The only thing unexpected was that the bladder is 18 psi; not 38 psi but I
probably need to make sure I *isolate* the bladder from the storage tanks
(which can give it a few PSI perhaps?).

Would you also still expect 32 psi in a car tire that had been sitting
unattended for 30 yr or so (or however long it's been since the air
pressure in the pressure tank was last checked/aired up to proper
pressure)?????

It's no different, it'll leak a tiny amount past the Schroeder plus
there's diffusion thru the bladder/diaphragm so in has to be recharged
every so often as routine maintenance.

It should be set to the cutin (I may have inadvertently written "cutout"
above) pressure -2 psi; what needs be determined is just where the
pressure switch is actually operating.

As noted in the previous response, this makes it look very much like
it's actually still at 40-60 nominal, _not_ some 10-15 psi higher.

If you have compressor with regulator on it's output you can test the
switch or, more simply, with a _KNOWN WORKING AND ACCURATE GAUGE OF
SUFFICIENT CAPACITY_, observe the operating pressure when the pump kicks
on and off.

As for the last comment, no, I'd not isolate anything; you want it as it
normally operates, not some biased condition that isn't normal. There's
not enough there to really matter much, but you may as well be
reasonably close to where it actually operates most of the time...of
course, do the reservoir tanks "live" in a mostly topped-off condition
or on the bottom end? I guess the float must be towards the top if not
at the overflow outlet so if you have sufficient water to ever get there...