Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Welding helmets

Chris Green wrote:
Chris wrote:

Hi all,

Been thinking it's about time I got one of those auto-darkening helmets.
Just a bit concerned about that initial flash that's supposed to trigger
the auto-darken feature. I can't see how it can be fast enough to
eliminate exposure to that first bright flash. Anyone used one? Comments
on their efficacy?

They're excellent for incompetant amateur welders like me, you can
actually see what you're doing as you wave the stick at the metal.

I'm sure they'd have been banned or come with all sorts of warnings if
they don't darken quick enough.

I imagine that the glass probably absorbs most of the UV, the LCD side of
things probably just brings the light level down to manageable limits. I
could be wrong of course.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls