Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do you rebuild the bearings?

On 14 Aug 2018 17:52:52 GMT, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The next question you should ask is "How do I adjust the air
pressure in my
bladder tank?"
https://www.ehow.com/how_6025664_adjust-air-pressure-bladder-tank.html

Air pressure?
You can adjust the air pressure?
Who knew there's a Schrader valve on top of that blue tank!
Not me!

I left the circuit breaker off all night and tested things this morning,
which helped a *lot* for me to figure out what is happening during normal
operation!

With only dribbles of water at the house, the gauge read about 60 psi:
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6988753test01.jpg

The bladder tank was empty of water (as I could tilt it about an eighth of
an inch, and the faucet on the shed outside wall only dribbled):
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4372164test02.jpg

As a test of INPUT pressure from the storage tanks alone, I shut both
valves that send water to the pump and bladder, and I turned on the
normally closed valve that goes directly to the house and to that faucet on
the wall of the shed.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8521072test00.jpg

The result is that *this* is the input pressure from the two parallel
storage tanks alone (which isn't bad for no pump or bladder at all):
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9473610test03.jpg

Interestingly, that test dropped the gauge pressure to 55 psi:
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5815172test04.jpg

Looking for the Schrader valve, I removed the wrong cap:
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8553179test05.jpg
(What is there ... it seems like nothing is there?)

Obviously the other cap is the Schrader valve location where the tank seems
to be covered in some kind of "varnish" as it's clear blue beneath it:
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6704190test06.jpg

Bladder pressure charge seems to be at 18 psi, which is well below the
original precharge of 38 psi (if that 39 psi is accurate):
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6471227test07.jpg

To run the next test, I closed the normally-closed bypass water valve and
re-opened the two normally open water valves.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8642122flow01.jpg

I then turned the circuit breaker on and the pump ran for about three
minutes where the contacts clearly cut off in this position automatically:
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3775483test10.jpg

At that "full" point, my bladder gauge was pegged at above 60PSI:
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8551539test09.jpg

While the pump gauge read about 62 psi:
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2732927test08.jpg