Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do you rebuild the bearings?

On 14 Aug 2018 18:39:46 GMT, trader_4 wrote:

Uh oh, I expect you'll be hearing from Fretwell about calling
them phases, that's supposed to be verboten.

Oh? Yikes. I didn't know about Fretwell. I didn't even think that there's
anything wrong with using the word phases but I agree that there are two
different concepts going on, where the three lines emanating from a power
plant are definitely three phases at 120 degrees apart, but by the time two
of those multiply-stepped-down lines hit my transformer, they're in a
center-tap transformer configuration, which isn't the same thing.

But I think I'll try to stay out of phase discussions as this is about
booster pump motors.

Saying two phases is pure heresy.

It is?

Where were you when we were having that long electrical engineering
discussion about what 240/120 service really is in the other thread?

I only come here when I have a problem to solve.

I'm not really all that concerned about "phase" terminology though, but I
can imagine that others are - so I appreciate the warning to use my terms
more delicately.