Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Sears gas clothes drier

On 8/14/2018 3:52 PM, wrote:

Due to several problems and the fact that it's 20 years old I purchased
a new clothes drier.
Kind of curious though as what the problem is with the old one. I do my
own repairs and this one stumped me.
The gas only comes on intermittently. I can see the igniter glowing but
most of the time, there is no gas present.
Sometimes it will ignite but after a few minutes goes out again.
The timer and thermal breakers all check ok. I'm thinking it must be the
solenoid that actually turns the gas on.
I did not think it worth investigating because half the time the drum
sticks...I got my $400 worth.

I'd say $400 for 20 years of use is dang good.
I would be curious if any gas line had been opened that allowed air
in, reducing pressure. The pressure is already fairly low. Had a new
gas water heater not firing or staying ignited. I bled the gas line
and quickly connected the supply line. Worked fine.

Logical but nothing here has been changed and the hot water heater and
stove all ok.

My 25 + year old propane dryer is still working fine after only
one service call about 12 years ago for a new part - I forget
what it was - sorry - but was only about $ 50.
I would be very tempted to repair it again - unless the serviceman
advised strongly against it - to avoid the computerization and
planned obsolescence of most newer appliances.
Let us know in 7 or 8 years what you think of your new unit.

W Well I already ordered a new one. A simple one without those
electronic controls.
My previous Sears dryer lasted 25 years but I'm not complaining about
the 20 I got on this one.
I'm sure I could eventually fix it but just got tired of fooling with it.