Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default T12 & T8 tubes

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:16:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Have a pretty old twin 6 ft fitting (ballast and starter) where an
original T12 tubes has failed. Replaced it with a T8 - which is very
noticeably dimmer than the other old T12. Swapping them makes no
difference, so not the control gear?

Blurb says they are more efficient than T12. Does that also mean less
light?

Thought you of all people would have converted to LEDs by now, Dave!

You thought very wrong.

The actual light is more important to me than just running costs.

I'm an 'LED skeptic', ie I'm less than convinced they give a decent
light output.

However, I recently replaced a 5' tube in the garage with an LED one
from Screwfix and I'm very impressed. As far as I can tell by eye, the
output is as good as the other tubes. It comes on instantly (all but).
As for life time, it is early days. It was about £15. No rewiring, just
replace the starter with a 'special' supplied (I suspect a fuse or short
circuit).

Like you, I'm more bothered about light output but, unless I see a
problem, I will replace the other tubes as they fail with similar LEDs.