Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do yourebuild the bearings?

On 8/14/2018 8:16 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On 14 Aug 2018 17:45:37 GMT, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

It doesn't even needs must be a jet pump altho if can find one of same
form factor to fit the existing plumbing makes swap-out simpler.

I'm not sure what you're saying there as your edits got garbled (it happens
to all of us), but I do AGREE that buying a motor as a spare is a good idea
given that (a) repair costs more than a motor, and (b) with the pump there
is no water pressure.

Wasn't garbled at all; says exactly what I wrote and meant -- the
replacement pump doesn't have to be a jet pump, any of about same rating
and similar pressure boost will serve the purpose. Whether any cheaper
or not I don't know, but pumps are dime a dozen kinds of articles...

Plus, it's always handy to have an extra 1HP motor around to use as a disk
sander or whatever.

The problem of course is matching what is needed to fit nicely.
a. 1 HP (SF 1.4) is a given, as is 115/230VAC & 3450 RPM & Frame 56C.
b. The "jet pump" part seems to be in the "cast iron" head.

BTW, I realized that the model number is actually SHORTER than I posted,
because they mix the model and serial number together, it seems.

The model number seems to be: 5KC39QN
https://duckduckgo.com/?&q=5KC39QN+motor&ia=web

I'm still confused about this "jet pump" part of the spec though.

I need to learn more about this "jet pump" part because I think if I just
buy a motor, it's not a "jet pump motor" but just a "motor". The "jet pump"
part seems to be in that cast-iron head - which would likely stay since it
has all the pipes connected to it.

Can I just buy "any old" booster-pump motor that fits those basic specs?
Like, for example, this one?
https://www.sustainablesupply.com/to...rs/pump-motors

All that matters is that it has the same form factor; whether there's a
single or a couple pretty-much universal for jet pumps I don't know but
I'd guess there are a fairly limited number of designs for any given
pump size class so it's probably not too hard to find one that will work.

As for the frames, those are standardized _excepting_ if a vendor did
build a custom item for a given distributor like you say Marathon may
have done for GE...in that case the standard may be close but they may
have modified something just enough that you had to stay with them for
parts...

https://www.baldor.com/Shared/pdf/nema_chart_04.pdf