Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Sears gas clothes drier

On 8/14/18 11:49 AM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 08:42:58 -0500, philo wrote:

Due to several problems and the fact that it's 20 years old I purchased
a new clothes drier.

Kind of curious though as what the problem is with the old one. I do my
own repairs and this one stumped me.

The gas only comes on intermittently. I can see the igniter glowing but
most of the time, there is no gas present.

Sometimes it will ignite but after a few minutes goes out again.

The timer and thermal breakers all check ok. I'm thinking it must be the
solenoid that actually turns the gas on.

I did not think it worth investigating because half the time the drum
sticks...I got my $400 worth.

I'd say $400 for 20 years of use is dang good.

I would be curious if any gas line had been opened that allowed air
in, reducing pressure. The pressure is already fairly low. Had a new
gas water heater not firing or staying ignited. I bled the gas line
and quickly connected the supply line. Worked fine.

How does one bleed a gas line?

--
I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to
these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?