Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do you rebuild the bearings?

On 14 Aug 2018 09:58:59 GMT, dpb wrote:

That's a good call probably on the low-capacity well and reason for
storage tank(s)--I'm not used to having to do that; there's always
plenty of water in a hole here for domestic wells...so the trickle over
longer time concept doesn't come into play and don't actively think
about that kind of installation. The level/float switch then does make
perfect sense to control the actual pump.

You are completely correct that the well will never pump water for more
than about five minutes before running dry.

Then the well will sit idle for a timed period (I think it's set to
something like 20 minutes or so). Then it tries again.

It takes many days (sometimes weeks) to fill the big water tanks, depending
on drought conditions.

I think the biggest source of confusion was I had no clue how this booster
pump setup worked because it never gave me a reason to care before.

This is the first time it had a problem. I think I understand almost
everything now ... what I don't understand exactly I can figure out - which
is the wiring at that relay.

The plan right now is simple ... now that you helped me understand how it
works. I will simply test the voltage while it's working, and then test the
voltage when it's not.

The one-time sound is an issue of concern ... so it still may be related.