Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Water pressure booster pump won't start consistently - do you rebuild the bearings?

On 14 Aug 2018 07:28:42 GMT, dpb wrote:

Where do the leads for what you keep calling a level switch relay come
from? There's got to be _something_ for it if it indeed is anything
more than interposing relay.

The setup is only now starting to make sense to me now that folks explained
how the pressure switch works and where it was!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4252649pump04.jpg

The pressure switch was in plain sight all along - but I thought it was
just a relay of some sort (which it is - but it's more a pressure switch):
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6939192pump06.jpg

This is the fusebox panel (which contains circuits for the well pump also):
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7831116pressure09.jpg

There are two "relays" that must be closed in order for the pressure pump
(aka booster pump, aka GE Jet Pump Motor) to turn on:
1. The water tanks must have water in them
2. The pressure must drop below a given preset value

You can see the first relay in this picture where it's the relay on the
left (ignore the right relay - that's a relay for the well pump itself):
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1279096pressure07.jpg

It's hard to notice from just that photo, but that left-most relay is
pulled in an eighth of an inch when the fuse panel allows electricity.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2443640pressure10.jpg

This is exactly what is supposed to happen - which indicates that the big
water tanks themselves have enough water in them as there is an "empty"
switch that will *open* that circuit if there isn't enough water. Of this
I'm positive as I had issues in the past when the tank ran dry due to me
forgetting to turn the power back on so I climbed on top of the big water
tanks and pulled that level sensing switch out and flipped it upside down
and the booster pump started working when I did that.

The second relay is, of course, the pressure switch & relay which is
attached to the booster pump motor.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9773849pump01.jpg