Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Advice on Phones

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:12:13 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 22:52:04 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:24:34 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 02:28:36 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 19:37:54 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 22:02:13 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:00:19 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 15:26:26 +0100, whisky-dave
wrote:

Yep but they have little choice as those phones are being
sold cheaply because they ship will all the crap on them,
just like some PCs do.
If you don't like it then buy a phone with a decent amount
of memory that's what I did.

I can buy a cheap PC with freebie **** on it, but I can
uninstall it all.

Not with all laptops you can't.

Windows never forbids you from uninstalling a program, it
doesn't have that capability.

Yes it does and some laptops use that.

Bull****. Windows can't prevent an uninstallation.

Corse it can, and does too. Try uninstalling Explorer some time.

And wipe the egg off your face.

Just a simple browser.

I wasn't talking about Internet Explorer, the other Explorer.

That's not a program,

Yes it is and you are free to use another one if you want.

that's part of the OS.

Nope.

Yes, it how you access the file system,

Doesn't mean its part of the OS.

nobody replaces that.

Plenty do because they prefer the way other apps do that.

And it doesn't take up much space anyway.

Wrong again.

I've never bought a Windows PC where the disk is already 80% full.

You've never bought a brand new PC for $30 either.

She paid a lot more than $30 for her phone.

More fool her.

Some wont even let you remove Win and replace it with linux.

Bull****, nothing prevents you formatting the hard disk.

Wrong with some bios.

You're just making things up now.

Nope, trivial to google.

Just tried a few searches, the closest thing I could find were
BIOSes that only allowed Windows.

Which is what I said, it wont allow you to use anything else.

That's Linux's fault for not supporting the hardware.

We arent talking about not supporting the hardware, we are talking
about a bios that doesn't allow any other OS to be INSTALLED.

BIOSes don't do that.

Yes they do.

Show me proof of this absurdity.

Google it yourself.

You made up the bull****,

Nope, rubbed your nose in the facts, as always.

YOU prove it.

Google it yourself.

But didn't stop you wiping it and putting a clean Windows on.

But does stop you installing Linux etc.

And how was she to know that the 8GB (which is plentiful
for the 5 apps she wanted to download) would be full up
with ****?

Same way you know about anything like that, do some research
before buying a product or if you are too lazy to do that,
buy it
from an operation that allows you to return it for a full
refund
if it turns out that its useless for what you want to do
with it.

It's THEFT, plain and simple.

Nope, you are free to return it for a full refund if you don't
like that.

But how many will?

Irrelevant.

If hardly any do, they succeed in the theft.

There is no theft.

8GB of storage is owned by Mrs Smith, yet she only has access to
1GB of it.

Just as true of the part the OS needs. Nothing to do with theft.

The OS usually needs a small proportion, not over three quarters of
it.

The amount doesn't determine whether its theft or not.

A small amount doesn't stop you installing apps, but having only 20%
left does.

That's not theft.

The storage space belongs to the owner, and nobody else.

Still not theft.

And she is free to root the phone and remove the
crap she doesn't want on the phone, but then she
wont be able to do android/google pay with it.

Like anybody knows how to do that.

Trivial to use google and see how to do that.

I'm fully competent with computers but I wouldn't attempt a phone root.

More fool you, its very easy to do.

I have very little interest in using phones as anything other than a
device for making calls and texts.

More fool you.

I use a desktop for the internet.

Works REAL well when you need to look up something
when out of the house. And when getting directions to
somewhere you need to go etc etc etc.