Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default The "Kitchen Cleanser" nightmare

On 8/14/2018 3:07 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:44:39 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 8/14/2018 12:37 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 23:30:24 -0500,
wrote:

If you ever used Comet or Ajax Kitchen Cleanser, you're probably aware
of the grittiness of that product.

I remember that stuff going back to the 1950s. Maybe it was nade before
then? Anyhow, I do wonder if anyone ever sued the companies that made
that stuff? The reason is because it ruined more sinks and bathtubs than
any other product ever made.

My mother wore the porcelain off her kitchen sink, right down to the
cast iron in spots. Her bathtub no longer had any gloss to it, because
that stuff wore off the porcelain probably almost to the bare metal. Her
bathroom sink was the same way, but my father replaced it and told mom
to never use that crap on the new sink.

Of course, with the gloss worn off the tub, it just got dirty easier and
that meant mom used more kitchen cleanser...

Heck, when I was an older kid, (teens) and got myself all filthy with
car grease or paint, tar, etc. Mom handed me the kitchen cleanser and
said go clean yourself up. (I did it once, it burned my skin, I never
used it again).

I still see it in the stores, but I wont buy it. From all I know, it was
just a fine abrasive and powdered bleach, and maybe some sort of
detergent too.

But I bet well over half the sinks and tubs in America were ruined by
that crap during the 50's thru the 70's or 80's... And some probably
still are being ruined.

I do wonder how many lawsuits were placed aginst the companies that sold
that stuff???

If you wanted non abrasive stuff, you bought Bon Ami. I remember Babbo
long before Comet.

People in this group should understand abrasives and their scale. An
abrasive that cannot scratch steel may scratch porcelain. I suspect
cleanser manufacturers have cleaned up their act so their products do
not abrade porcelain as maybe previous products did.

We seem to have lost the ability to match products to their use. Some
people seem to assume what is OK for their stainless steel sink is
also OK for toothpaste and those Tide pods really look like yummy
stuff (even to adults)

Yes, that is what I am suggesting. Even brushing teeth with baking soda
might be a problem if there is a silica based anti-caking agent that
might abrade enamel.