Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the purpose of this automobile microphone

"just wondering how taking an GE to someone else to set-up is going to help me when I can't hear **** all above 12kHz! "

There is very little content in music up at 12 KHz, My hearing starts rolling off at about 4KHz and is non-existent at about 14 KHz.

Equalizers are not made to act as bass and treble controls. in 90 % of the installations you'll rub across setting the 60 to boost and the 250 to cut will make the bass sound better. Not sure why but many rooms seem to vibrate around 200 Hz or so. Maybe it's the distance between wall studs at the drywall or something. Putting speakers in corners exacerbates the problem.

A treble control on an amp might be too "squaky" and a cut on the 2,500 or 3,500 Hz control might help and not obscure that sweet timbre as much.

With a 10 band you can do even more. I can make some elchepo "Ohifio" (an event where they dumped a bunch of kunk nearly as cheap as it was worth) and make them sound almost like good Infinitys. (really ****ing good speakers)

One kinda cool thing came out of EQ, certain models of TV sets. With the use of throat mics, body mics and whatever, the frequency responses is FUBAR. So TCE (RCA and GE) took the midrange and via crossovers inverted the phas of the midrange. The goldenrod or whatever on it said people found the speech to be more intelligible that way. The overall response was largely flat except for the null points, the -3 dB or whatever and they were at about 400 and 3,000 Hz, in that ballpark.

Probably a good idea too, I have tried to equalize some of the TV shows and it still sounds like "wok wok wook wok erk". i am talking 2 ten bands with ranges of +/- 10 dB and 12 db. What is 22 dB, about a factor of 100 or so ? Still didn't do it, those "resonances" are there no matter what and they completely obfuscate the overtones necessary to intelligibility. And it is NOT ME. If it was then how come I can hear just fine on old episodes of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Star Trek ?

As far as I am concerned, the pursuit of flat response is over. I want it to sound how I like it, I care not what the recording engineer wanted. And I can state what i want.

if I have flat response to start with I want that bottom octave boosted heavily, 30 Hz and such. Then the top octave, give me that timbre, in fact I am having a hard time finding good enough tweeters to overcome my hearing loss. I have actually heard my amp collide with its slew rate.