Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default What is the purpose of this automobile microphone

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 00:34:54 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Sunday, 12 August 2018 03:59:51 UTC+1, wrote:

'Just twiddle with the knobs and sliders until it sounds good. What

else does one need to know? "

Much. One sort of rule of thumb is to take FM hiss, turn off the muting
and see which controls have the most effect. The ones with less effect
should be boosting and the ones with more effect should be cutting. But
that is a very rudimentary primer on it. People used to bring their
cars to me to have me set the EQ, back when you could. Houses to, in
factr I modified an EQ for a friend of mine because it was only a 5
band and he needed slightly different frequencies. I turned the 60 Hz
control into about a 40, the 250 into a 150, left the 1,000 alone and
the 3,500 but extended the 15 KHz to infinity by removing the inductor.
Also the new 40 Hz control's range extended to subsonic. I used
resistance and whatever to get the range where I wanted it with the
same inductor, but the cap I took to about 10 X its original value.

5 band graphic eqs were crap, but the worst thing about them was that
they wasted one of the sliders on a 1kHz band.

just wondering how taking an GE to someone else to set-up is going to
help me when I can't hear **** all above 12kHz!