Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What is glowing in the basement?

On 8/10/2018 10:44 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:34:39 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 10:08:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 12:43:02 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
A friend is in her basement and talking to me on the phone and she
notices that a pipe connected to her heat pump is glowing red. !!!

It's an expensive house built about 10 years ago.

She's sent me two pictures.

One is of two parallel 2-inch white plastic pipes next to each other
that are going horizontally across the ceiling, have right angle curves
that point the pipes up, have 2 or 3-inch straight pieces, then right
angle curves that point through the wall to the outside of the basement
Nor
You can see a floor joist from the floor above and the silver-colored
insulation on the inside of her basement wall.

(Do they now enclose the high and low pressure AC hoses in PVC pipes
like this?

Not that I've ever seen, that's for sure. The lines are copper tubing,
less than 1" not 2", covered in black foam insulation on the low
pressure side

Okay. Just like my house that's 40 years old.

She also has a backup generator. I don't see why they would use PVC
pipe, or two of them, but....????

She has solar panels in the yard, but again, why PVC and why two?

She has some other gizmos too. They first owner was an architect who was
into gizmos.

and how can PVC glow?

Good question.

No idea what you're looking at.

Sounds like a light behind a PVC pipe lighting it up.

Maybe the demons are decorating early for Halloween.

She lives fairly far away. Maybe I'll get her to show me where the
pipes go, or maybe I'll figure out how to post the pictures here. I
should learn how to do that. (I signed up for one of those services. I
have to figure out which.)

My guess is the sun is hitting a part of the pipe you can't see, and as
the sun moves, the light changes.