Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What is glowing in the basement?

A friend is in her basement and talking to me on the phone and she
notices that a pipe connected to her heat pump is glowing red. !!!

It's an expensive house built about 10 years ago.

She's sent me two pictures.

One is of two parallel 2-inch white plastic pipes next to each other
that are going horizontally across the ceiling, have right angle curves
that point the pipes up, have 2 or 3-inch straight pieces, then right
angle curves that point through the wall to the outside of the basement

You can see a floor joist from the floor above and the silver-colored
insulation on the inside of her basement wall.

(Do they now enclose the high and low pressure AC hoses in PVC pipes
like this? That's what it seems like it is.) The AC was on yesterday,
but it wasn't that hot out (90) and it shouldn't have been running that
much. The house has an AC at each end of the house.

(It's a royal pain for me to post the pictures. )

The second picture from her phone is darker, perhaps underexposed, but
the more I look at it the more I can see. It shows the nearer 2 or
3-inch straight piece and the entire thing is glowing red!!!! You can
see some red color reflecting off the silver insulation. (Above and
below are the curved sections, and they each have as thicker section
where they mate with the end of the straight pieces, and those sections
show as black bands at the top and bottom of the 2 or 3 inches, even
though in the first picture they are the same color, white.)

She could see it glowing with the lights on in the basement, plus
sunlight coming in the sliding glass door. Then the glowing got less
by the time she sent me these pictures. What is glowing??????

I told her before she bought the house that it had demons, but she
bought it anyhow. This is the first clear example that they are there.
Can they be exorcised or is she stuck with them?