Posted to alt.home.repair
Davej Davej is offline

Default Windows have no flashing

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 11:01:48 AM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 14:25:21 -0700 (PDT), Davej wrote:

In a 20 year old house how common is it to find windows
were not properly flashed? The Tyvek is simply cut out
around the windows. It isn't even taped to the window
frames.

What you have is an installer problem. Some clowns install windows by
piece work. $15 per window will get you three fasteners an not much
else, as to quality of the install.

I don't think it is practical for me to remove and reinstall each
window, so my plan is to remove the vinyl siding and tape the
vinyl window frame to the Tyvek. If there is noticeable deterioration
of the OSB board I will also cut an exterior inspection hole below
each window.