Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Walmart LED lamps

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 18:59:34 -0400, "Stephen B."
wrote:

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I've been buying the basic LED A series replacements for a few years now,
and what you say about heat dissipation is right.
They hate to run in a base up configuration. Anything above a 60w equivalent
will burn out lickety split when run base up. Even the 60w equivalents have
a seriously shortened life because all the heat gets trapped in the base
where the electronics are.

I have a few ceiling lights I have been thinking of putting LED into.
How are they on their side?

Stephen B.

I have LED PAR lights - several years now with no problem. Also
Philips "flat" type LRDs base up in enclosed fixtures - over 5 years
now. I had a bunch of cheap chinese crap GR10 and mr16 bulbs that went
like flashbulbs - then I replaced them with brand name (Philips and
Noma) GR10s and they are standing upo REALLY well.

I've got a lot of TCP A19s in base-up configuration - no failures yet
out of 36 in one installation - almost 2 years now - both 60 and 100
watt equivalents.

There are lots of cheap crap LEDs that are not worth taking home