Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] emmydee11@gmail.com is offline

Default Q: can't remove rusty toilet seat! Help!

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 11:09:23 PM UTC+1, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 13:54:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Similar problem- toilet too close to wall for using a wrench or pliers 'blind' and the bolt and nut were rusted solid. Tried drilling out the bolt head, but only succeeded in spinning both nut and bolt. So, I purchased a package of (metric) nuts that fit perfectly and screwed them all onto the bolt , by feel. Then I was able to use a crescent wrench to 'grab' the lowest nut and proceeded to drill out the bolt head. The clockwise rotation of the drill caused the nuts to tighten and I shortly had the job done, as the torque of the drill caused the bolt to shear. I drilled first with a small bit, then used one closer in size to the bolt size.

Didn't try the hacksaw method since very little room for play.

The main thing with a toilet is not breaking the porcelain.

I've used these more than once.
https://tinyurl.com/k9f9u66

If you've got some kind of mototool, these work well.
I've even used them on hardened engine studs a few times when the
usual tools won't work.
https://tinyurl.com/kfcydek

You need a product called 'Plus Gas' spray it on the offending bolt, wait about a minute, GENTLY tap one side of the wing nut and you should be able to unscew it. Works for me!