Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 18:07:59 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 3:51:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 11:48:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 12:29:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 07:55:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Now I rotate one coil so that instead of 120, it's at 179. Are there
still three phases?

Technically in your pink unicorn world, yes

OK, so we agree, if you take a 3 phase power source and rotate one winding
so that instead of 120 degrees, it's at 179, there are still 3 phases.

Now I rotate it one degree more, to 180. Are there still 3 phases,
yes or no?

No there is one phase. 180 degrees is a straight line with no angular
displacement, 3d grade math.

Wow, that's a stunning answer. Are you sure that's your answer? Your
final answer? By rotating that one winding from 179 to 180 degrees
suddenly this whole generator went to single phase? And I'm the one
accused of parlor tricks?

In my world, the real word, you still have 3 phases, 0, 180, 240.
Before the change you had 0, 179, 240. You'd of course see exactly
that on a scope. Anything else would be magic indeed.

.
0-180 is the same phase. It is a straight line with no phase shift.
Simply the idea that looking at both ends from the middle does not
make it two.

So, your position is that I can take a 3 phase power source, with three
windings, one at 0, one at 120, one at 240 and it's 3 phase. And if
I move the 120 one to 179, it's still 3 phase. If I move it to 181 it's
still 3 phase. But if I move it to 180, Poof, it's no longer a phase?

No actually when you get to "181" you are 3 phase with opposite
rotation and it becomes a 179 phase shift.
The reality is that might technically be 3 phase but I am not even
sure it is sustainable.

When you reach 180 degrees "poof" it does disappear. That is when a
triangle becomes a line with no phase angle. That is elementary school
geometry
How many degrees are there in a triangle? any triangle? Don't even try
to say this isn't the geometry of triangles when your white paper is
loaded with trig symbols.
Trig is the science of triangles.

I already showed you how you can create the illusion of 2 phase from a
3 phase red leg delta on a scope,. You just need to hang the common on
the center tap. Your 3 phase motors are still happily spinning away
but you will look at your scope and swear there are only 2 phases.

I don't know why you can't accept the opinion of someone with 50 years
in the business who has actually done this **** (30 years in computer
hardware and 20 years as an inspector) and you rely on something you
googled up and a misconception you can't seem to shake..