Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Motorcycle carbs flooding ... ?

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 23:28:13 -0000 (UTC), Mark wrote:

T i m wrote:

Or what else could it be?

It *could* be intermittent because we tested it after cleaning and
calibrating by rigging up a temporary fuel tank and the carbs didn't
flood at all?

Cheers, T i m

is ther sufficient fuel flow out of the tank shutoff device

Good question. The fuel tap is 'remote' and vacuum operated so there
are 4 hoses. One the main tank outlet to the tap, one the reserve tank
outlet to the tap, the feed from the tap to the carb(s) and a vacuum
pipe to the inlet of one carb.

The tap has 3 positions, Prime (full on), On (main outlet enabled by
engine vacuum) Reserve (reserve outlet enable by engine vacuum). There
is no 'off' because without the engine running there is no vacuum on
the tap and so no fuel (except in the Prime position).

So, to answer your question I'd say 'yes' as it both seems to allow
the engine to flood pretty quickly (in any position) and filled a 5l
petrol can pretty quickly on Prime with the outlet going to the can.

my triumph amal carb always starts to overflow when the in tank filter starts to block

Oooerr?

if both cabs are doing the same thing then unlikely that they suddenly both have the some fault

Agreed ... and why I was asking here. ;-)

Googling around on the ER-5 bike it seems the symptom of sitting at
3000 rpm on tickover and flooding are both 'known issues', some of
which are down to the fuel tap not turning off *and* the float jets
not turning off (even with the bike parked and idle etc).

Apparently the 3000 rpm tickover issue can be related to a leaking
throttle slide diaphragm but I'm less worried about that whilst we
have the flooding issue whilst the engine is turned off.

Cheers, T i m