Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 11:48:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 12:29:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 07:55:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Now I rotate one coil so that instead of 120, it's at 179. Are there
still three phases?

Technically in your pink unicorn world, yes

OK, so we agree, if you take a 3 phase power source and rotate one winding
so that instead of 120 degrees, it's at 179, there are still 3 phases.

Now I rotate it one degree more, to 180. Are there still 3 phases,
yes or no?

No there is one phase. 180 degrees is a straight line with no angular
displacement, 3d grade math.

Wow, that's a stunning answer. Are you sure that's your answer? Your
final answer? By rotating that one winding from 179 to 180 degrees
suddenly this whole generator went to single phase? And I'm the one
accused of parlor tricks?

In my world, the real word, you still have 3 phases, 0, 180, 240.
Before the change you had 0, 179, 240. You'd of course see exactly
that on a scope. Anything else would be magic indeed.

..
0-180 is the same phase. It is a straight line with no phase shift.
Simply the idea that looking at both ends from the middle does not
make it two.