Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia[_9_] Jeff Wisnia[_9_] is offline

Default Car Radio AM fades in and out

If you can beg or borrow another antenna and cable try plugging those
into the antenna input jack on the radio. If that gets you better
signals on stations that are weak with the present antenna then there's
something wrong there and you could try just a new cable first, then a
new antenna. The antenna itself isn't going to be bad, but there may be
an open circuit or even a short to ground where the antenna cable comes
off it.

Good Luck,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I checked the antenna and it is secure. If this fading out is normal why didn't it happen for the past four years of owning this vehicle? It happens with all AM stations and some that I used to get now have practically zero reception. I'm not in a rural area (Chicago suburbs). Driving near high tension lines was always an issue with AM but this is in residential areas where lines are crossing the streets.

maybe it fades out when the fake news it on.... :-)

if it used to work, and something changed, then either you have a bad antenna connection or something went wrong with the radio.

the signals do get weaker under wires, but if it used to work OK and now it doesn't, then something went wrong. About all you can do is check the antenna connection. Next step is to remove the radio for repair.
mark