Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed60062 Ed60062 is offline

Default Car Radio AM fades in and out

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 10:08:11 AM UTC-5, Pat wrote:
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 13:59:03 -0700 (PDT), Ed60062 wrote:

Recently the AM reception on my 2014 Dodge Caravan has been fading out when passing under overhead electric wires. FM is not a problem. Any ideas why this might be happening and what the solution might be?

Depending on your definition of "fading out", what you have described
is perfectly normal. The longer wavelengths of AM band signals have
trouble penetrating overpasses and under power lines. Most static is
AM in nature, so AM is highly susceptible to those symptoms. List to
the Steely Dan song "FM". "No static at all" is comparing FM to AM.
Back in the 60's, cars often only had AM radios, so having music other
than elevator music on FM was a huge improvement. You could drive
under power lines without your favorite song fading away.

I checked the antenna and it is secure. If this fading out is normal why didn't it happen for the past four years of owning this vehicle? It happens with all AM stations and some that I used to get now have practically zero reception. I'm not in a rural area (Chicago suburbs). Driving near high tension lines was always an issue with AM but this is in residential areas where lines are crossing the streets.