Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 9:58:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:
That is your 240/120 service and it could
come from a transformer, be synthesized from a battery, or just exist on
a piece of paper.

Oh my.

So there is another point of semantic confusion in this discussion.

120/240 can mean 120 Volts and 240 Volts can refer to the two voltages in a usual home system.

0/120/240 can also refer to 0 degrees , 120 degrees , 240 degrees, the three phase angles in the usual 3 phase system.

mark

I don't think there has been any confusion over references to phase or
voltage in this discussion if you read the context in which they are
being used. I will keep it in mind though.

Here are the two simple problems that no one on the other side can address
and it isn't because there is any confusion about voltage vs phase.
It's because they are trapped in a obvious unexplainable contradiction.

Problem two:

According to Fretwell, two phase power existed 100 years ago, and it
was over two wires, 90 degrees phase difference. Suppose I run it
over 3 wires instead, with a shared neutral, make it 120V. So,
you have a generator supplying 120V, two coils, one shared neutral.
Would there still be two phases there?
(I believe Fretwell said yes)
Your answer?

So now, I run that from the generator into a house, we have three wires,
120V, two phases.
If I change the phase difference to 179 degrees instead of 90
by rotating one coil, are there still two phases? Yes or no?

Now I rotate it to 180 phase difference. Are there still two phases,
yes or no? If you disagree, explain how it's different, how there
suddenly there are not two phases there.

(My answer is yes and the final step above makes it absolutely IDENTICAL
to what you have coming into the house with 240/120. The electrons
are behaving exactly the same. )

Problem number 3

I take 3 phase power with a neutral into a house. One phase is at zero,
one is at 120, one is at 240, correct? I can see them on a scope, yes?

Now I rotate one coil so that instead of 120, it's at 179. Are there
still three phases?

Now I rotate it one degree more, to 180. Are there still 3 phases,
yes or no?

Now take away the 240 phase. How many phases now? If it's not two,
explain why.

And if it is two, then again, it's now ELECTRICALLY IDENTICAL TO 240/120 service.
IF you believe it's electrically different, explain why and how it matters
in terms of the behavior of the electrons in the service conductors.