Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heine Beta 200 opthalmoscope

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 10:47:03 -0700 (PDT), Peter Easthope
wrote:

Any further thoughts?

In my limited experience, if the cord is starting to crumble, it will
continue to crumble. If that's the case with your cord, you may find
that you'll need to replace the entire jacket. I don't think that
hiding the mess under a shrink tube jacket will suffice. If the
rubber cord jacket cracks in some random place, the shrink tube outer
jacket will be expected to handle the entire load, and probably
stretch, tear, of slide apart if spliced. If possible, cut off the
connectors and replace the entire cord.

The problem with the liquid vinyl and liquid rubber approach is that
the cord really looks awful with lumps and drip marks. Getting 3-4
meters of the stuff to look good will be difficult and require some
practice. The cord I was dealing with was about 2.5 meters long. I
was able to suspend it by a hook from the roof (outside), and
literally paint the liquid vinyl coating over the cord. As soon as
one layer was dry and fairly hard, I would apply the next coat. I
tried to fix the drip marks, but only while the coating was still
fluid.

I don't know how much time you have to deliver, but I would try the
PastiDip first on some other similar cord. If that fails, then
methinks the clear shrink tube is a good 2nd best.

One nice feature of any of these methods is that the cord will likely
be so ugly, that nobody would consider stealing the instrument from
the hospital.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D