Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

On 7 Aug 2018 01:33:18 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

I'll read the rest, but the abstract talks about "runout" which is a
completely different thing than warp

Hi Clare,

You should be warned that I'm intelligent so I can *read* a peer-reviewed
scientific paper, unlike, it seems, most people, who can't comprehend what
a paper says. I've read a billion of them, so, bear in mind that I can
understand what the authors are trying to say, even as they use words
differently than we do.

Reading onward, I think the authors make a critical mistake in not defining
their terms, particularly when they use the word "warp" in this sentence,
which is the first time it appears in the paper...
"It is known that disk warping or uneven disk thicknesses
induce pulsation during brake applications."

Clearly it is well known that "warp" (as in potato) and "uneven thickness"
are two completely different things - which means that this particular set
of Asian authors (M. W. ShinG. H. JangJ. K. KimH. Y. KimHo Jang) are likely
ignorant of what "warp" means - or - they simply assume that it means
something that it doesn't mean (i.e., warp and thickness variation are
completely different things - they just are).

They then compound their errors in a sentence not far from that last horrid
sentence, saying "When the disk temperature is increased by friction heat
during braking, the heat often causes dimensional instability of the disk,
permanently modifying the runout or disk thickness variation (DTV) of a
disk and producing brake judder."

WTF?

These Asian guys don't seem to comprehend the English language. It's well
known that DTV and runout are two completely different things. They just
are. Everyone knows that (except them).

I think the reason they didn't care to use correct words is that they
didn't really care about any of those things - what they cared about, it
seems, was the effect of heat treating on residual stress which resulted in
a less pronounced runout measurement.

The end of the introduction concludes with the idiotically worded sentence:
"While the disk warping during heat treatment was measured using
a static DTV measurement unit..."
Which clearly shows they're using the word "warp" differently than we are
(simply because it's a fact that warp and DTV are two different things).

It appears that Ripley and Kirstein (Ref 12) paper might be more
appropriate since they showed that the relaxation of the residual stress in
the disk could lead to disk distortion. (We have to look at that paper to
find out how they defined "disk distortion" though.)