Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Latest Project On My Own Home

On 8/2/18 6:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
There's nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful evening and
watching the wildlife, having a couple beers, listening to some yacht
rock, or just watching a summer rain storm as you sit in its breeze. But
I could really do without the mosquitoes.Â* :-)

This is a project we've been wanting to do for quite a while and I
finally set aside some time to do it.Â* It will have full screens from
bottom to top and a really cool window system called Magic Wall by
Solara, a company from Florida that started out making hurricane panels.

They don't have a lot of pictures, but I saw their system at the
Nashville builders convention and it's really cool.Â* Basically, you have
these glass panels on tracks that slide open and closed.Â* You can have 4
panels, that will slide into one.Â* In my case, the patio is 13'x16', so
on 2 sides, I will have four 4' panels that slide over to 4', leaving
12' of full screen.Â* On the end, there will be four panels that slide
over to 3', leaving 9' of full screen.

I decided to do the rafter framing in cedar and have solid, T&G roof
decking to be exposed from the underneath.Â* The tie-in to the existing
roof with be plain old pine lumber, since it won't be seen.

Here's the progress so far, with all the cedar framing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHLDkWJwdvgXBYS26
I have to say this cedar is a joy to work with.Â* Besides the smell, it
cuts wonderfully, is super light weight, and doesn't warp nearly as much
as SYP.Â* Then there's the looks.Â* :-)

I added a couple more pictures of one half of the 4/4 T&G Poplar roof
decking installed.
We stained the underside to match the Cedar and I have to say it's
pretty dead on.
It looks great from underneath.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHLDkWJwdvgXBYS26

--