Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What is the purpose of this automobile microphone

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 2:39:17 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 08/06/2018 12:59 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

I'm on wheels so I don't get out a lot. I can send and receive texts from my computer's Email client if I want to. I don't own one of those smartass phones so I'm a bit of a Luddite in that respect. I can't stop laughing when I see someone holding a device the size of a paperback novel up to the side of their face and talking into it. It's almost like watching someone talking on the first cell phone sold by Motorola that was the size of a brick. People using Bluetooth to talk on their cell phones also make me laugh. I see someone who appears to be talking to themselves and it's even funnier when they're arguing with the person on the phone. Technology definitely makes life entertaining. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Amused Monster

1. Talking on a smartphone does look strange.

2. What keeps your cheek from pushing "buttons"?

It has a proximity sensor that knows when it's near your ear.
Try looking at it sometime, it blanks the display when you put
it to your ear to save power. I would assume the same locks
out any touches on the screen from being interpreted as intended
touches on the screen.

I put a launcher on my Android that allows me to lock the screen icons.
That prevents you from accidentally moving them around. I've had mine
mysteriously move around, from when I put the phone in a pocket and
didn't lock the phone. With a launcher that allows you to lock them,
you can't move them without going into the launcher setting and unlocking
them. It won't prevent you from butt dialing, if you manage to hit the
right icons and buttons in sequence, but it does prevent the phone from
winding up with missing icons, icons moved to other pages, etc.

3. People who appear to be talking to themselves can be even more of a
problem, when they're using a bluetooth headset. There's no phone in
sight to explain the strange behavior.

Yes, they do look a bit odd, but I've gotten used to it. Sometimes I
might briefly think one is talking to me, not realizing they are on
the phone.

4. As to bluetooth, I don't like the normal headsets. I get tired of
being hit in the ear as I walk.

Not sure what a normal headset is, there are various kinds, from a Jawbone
type that just hangs in your ear, to full over the ear headphones.