Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default ADSL filters

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

It would appear a faulty* ADSL filter on the master socket can knock
out everything at a stroke. how it developed a fault having sat in
the same place totally unmolested for years is another matter.

Lightning nearby?

No recent lightening so far as I know. But thanks for the hint.

As according to some sources at least, apparently ADSL filters can be
very sensitive to spikes in the voltage coming down the telephone
line.

No they arent, they are entirely passive devices.

insulation can break down if the spike is big enough.

You don’t get spikes that big on the phone line.

The BBC transmitter on the Isle of Lewis had a "spike" come into the
transmitter hall down the phone line and cause thousands of pounds worth of
damage. They really can be BIG

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England