Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heine Beta 200 opthalmoscope

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 08:36:24 -0700 (PDT), Peter Easthope
wrote:

I'm replacing the cord on the opthalmoscope illustrated.
http://easthope.ca/HeineBeta200.jpg

The strain relief at the bottom of the handle, left in the photo,
was released by a pair of clips on a plastic ring. The quick-connect
holding the head was locked by a 2.2 mm socket setscrew in the upper
thumb ring. Finding a 1.2 mm hex wrench wasn't too difficult.

Now I'm snagged to release the handle from the internal structure.
Appears the handle is a tube. In the photo the outer handle should
release to the left; inner part to the right. What holds these
together?

If all that's wrong is the jacket or strain relief on the cord is
broken, perhaps it might be easier to repair the cord? You can get
liquid vinyl and liquid rubber at the hardware store, as liquid
electrical tape:
https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-LTB-400-Electrical-Waterproof/dp/B000FPAN2K
https://plastidip.com
I've used both on various flexible cords with generally good results.
Much depends on how much they are flexed. Neither vinyl nor rubber
will tolerate much in the way of radical bending.

The highlight of my cord repairs was for a massage therapist. The
cord to some kind of vibration/heat machine head fell apart when the
new and improved massage oil she was using caused the rubber cord to
crumble and fall apart in large chunks. The maker of the devices
wanted $250 to replace the cord and head. Since it was officially a
medical device, unsoldering the (molded) connectors and replacing just
the cord, was not an option. So, I broke off the remaining crumbling
rubber, dipped the cord in thinned liquid vinyl, and hung it
vertically to dry. I think it took 4 thin coatings to get it right.
Where were plenty of drip marks, but those could be tolerated.

I've also done similar repairs to crumbling Motorola microphone cords,
power extension cords, and various molded connectors.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D