Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Broken chuck on SDS drill

On 06/08/2018 15:57, Bert Coules wrote:
Something has gone amiss with the chuck on my ageing budget SDS drill
(Ferm FBH620 from Screwfix many moons ago): tools no longer twist-and-lock.

I've seen fixes online but the prospect of dismantling the chuck doesn't
really appeal.Â* A quick test has revealed that the tool still works
perfectly well as a chisel (which has always been my main need) except
for the inconvenient fact that the bit keeps falling out.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't take my most-often-used chisel bit
and simply stick it in the chuck?Â* A spot of Araldite or even superglue
on the very end ought to hold it, oughtn't it?

Many thanks.

A 'rigid' glue may break up under vibration. Can you not remove the
chuck and get a replacement?