Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 05:30:15 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

On 5 Aug 2018 21:13:02 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

Try using a glycerine solution instead of the mineral oil - more
fog/smoke at lower temperature.
The smoke point of most oils is well over 300F - about 600F for
mineral oil?
Glycerine smoke machines work at about 290F IIRC.

Actually, I think it was glycerine. I don't remember, I lent it out and the
guy returned it sans the oil. So I don't remember.

But I agree that a good smoke machine needs lots of smoke at low psi.

Sounds easy - but it's hard to find one that is ready made or *easily*
converted for automotive use.

The one I made was just a new paint can with the glow plug mounted at top
to the battery and a compressor plus regulator but a normal regulator is
hard to get to the level of 1/2 to 2psi.

Some say a propane regulator is better - but you have to have one to know
and I don't so we made do with what we had handy.

pick up a scrap barbq from the side of the road on one of your gas
runs. Or just cut the regulator off and take it home. They are
adjustable (under the cap) and are generally 7 inches of water - or
roughly 1/4 PSI