Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

On 5 Aug 2018 21:13:02 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

Try using a glycerine solution instead of the mineral oil - more
fog/smoke at lower temperature.
The smoke point of most oils is well over 300F - about 600F for
mineral oil?
Glycerine smoke machines work at about 290F IIRC.

Actually, I think it was glycerine. I don't remember, I lent it out and the
guy returned it sans the oil. So I don't remember.

But I agree that a good smoke machine needs lots of smoke at low psi.

Sounds easy - but it's hard to find one that is ready made or *easily*
converted for automotive use.

The one I made was just a new paint can with the glow plug mounted at top
to the battery and a compressor plus regulator but a normal regulator is
hard to get to the level of 1/2 to 2psi.

Some say a propane regulator is better - but you have to have one to know
and I don't so we made do with what we had handy.