Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SOLVED! GFCI tripping problem

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 20:47:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"I assume each is at the beginning of a run so that all the

non GFCI receptacles downstream are also protected."

Nope. There is no more of that now because the device cannot be the splice.

"I don't know if

that is code or exceeding code."

Then you don't know.

I have found that daisy chaining a bunch of stuff off a GFCI outlet can be troublesome. First of all it causes more nuisance trips. A light over the sink is alright but not a bunch of more outlets. Even better - if you got a bunch of stuff running off of one and it trips, you don't know which outlet tripped it.

The house was built about ten years ago. I looked at one circuit, in
the unfinished basement. This is the one with the washing machine.
Anyway, all the wires are visible. There are two receptacles
downstream of the GFCI recpetacle. On the new GFCI there was a label
that must be removed that covers the screws for downstream
receptacles. The label states that the power to the GFCI must not be
connected to the label covered screws. The screws are for connecting
other receptacles after the GFCI. And the GFCI that I replaced had
wires connected to it that power a couple other receptacles. So what
gives? Are you saying that code requires all receptacles to be
connected directly to the wires from the panel? And the receptacles
after the one basement GFCI are not to code now and weren't when wired
ten years ago? That the GFCI cannot be used to protect other
receptacles? If this is the case then I need to at least change the
wiring in the walls in the unfinished basement.
Thanks,
Eric